Friday 20 December 2013

What would you do?





If a person is drowning what would you do?; Ask him if he needs help or enter the water and rescue him? Sometimes, while well meaning , the offer: “Let me know if I can help” is really no help at all.
I have been thinking about how this can relate to the Christmas spirit and how I can reach out to those in trouble or distress, wherever they may be.
What I found out is that it doesn´t have to be that hard and most likely are the small things we are doing for each others of the greatest value.


I remember one of the best Christmas presents ever given to me. It was 20 years ago and I was, due to certain circumstances, about to spend the Holiday alone. I was pretty sure that I could cope with the idea of enjoying my own company on Christmas and told myself that it´s just another day and a day I could spend just the way I like. Sleeping in, taking a walk, rent a bad movie... Then when Christmas eve came I couldn't help feeling blue thinking about festive meetings and good wishes. And so it happened that a friend called me and asked if I wanted to join him when he was going to his mother to wish her a Happy Christmas. I had never met his mom before and at first I thought it could me a little bit awkward, me showing up on a family meeting. But I joined my friend and even if I just spend a couple of hours at his mothers place it made my Christmas. His mom was really warm hear ted and the gift from my friend was just that he was thinking of me being alone at Christmas.












Sometimes it is easy to have a present centered Christmas and not even remember the true reasoning behind the holidays. This year I will walk a friends dog, tomorrow I will help another friend to move and if someone is feeling lonely I will chat with them on fb, give a call or invite them to my place. The Christmas season is a time to reflect and act upon the blessings and opportunities we have and every gift given with Love is a good gift whether it is something you have bought, something you have made or an act of Love by helping in a concrete way.


And helping a brother or sister are usually these small things. To be there and to support. As much as you might wish you could "fix" someone or "fix" things for them, you can't do the emotional work for them. Real change starts with someone choosing to take responsibility for themselves and their problems. But you can be there as a guide and fellow, giving peace comfort and charity. The greatest gift this Christmas is if we remember to keep Christ in Christmas.

“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men “ (Luke 2:14)







No comments:

Post a Comment